The genealogy & local history archives are open on the lower level of Thistle Cottage!
Thistle Cottage is located at 122 South Cherry Street in Greenville. The archives and research facilities are accessible through the lower level doors just off the parking lot to the side of the building.
Appointments are strongly recommended to access our local history archives/research facilities. Due to ongoing staffing shortages, walk-in availability may be limited and is not guaranteed. Please call us at 270-338-4760 to schedule an appointment for research and study. This allows us to ensure adequate staffing during your visit.
- Leader-News and Times-Argus newspapers on microfilm or digital format (1934 to the present plus some older editions of local papers)
- Extensive collection of family genealogy books and local county history and genealogy materials
- Significant collection of other counties’ history and genealogy books and including other states
- Access to Ancestry.com with helpful assistance from knowledgeable staff
- Detailed Sanborn maps of Greenville and Central City
- Extensive vertical files containing family records, research notes, newspaper clippings and pamphlets pertaining to towns, businesses and citizens of the area
- Church histories including clippings and photographs
- Cemetery records
- Revolutionary War, War of 1812, Civil War, World War I & World War II Info
- Kentucky Death Certificates (1911 – 1967)
- Public access computer for genealogical research
- Births/Deaths Information for Kentucky (1911 – 1999) in physical and digital formats
Ancestry Library Edition is now available for free at all library branches! You can access Ancestry from any device connected to our network.
(This service is only available on library premises.)
In-depth research services are available (dependent upon staff availability) for a fee of $25 per hour ($12.50 minimum), plus copies and postage charges. A deposit will be required before work begins. Please contact us for more information about this service.
Staff will also answer simple inquiries by phone or email. Call (270) 338-4760 for more information.